Monday, November 09, 2009

On Analyses of Sport Events

I realize that sporting events such as international cricket matches and World Boxing Championships are entertaining because they are exciting, tribal, channels of aggression and adrenaline, etc., and I do not begrudge those who seem to find unending delight in watching these events and cheering for their favorite teams.

However, what I do find quite amusing is the "analysis" of a win or a loss in terms of statistics, "weather conditions", "team morale". As a typical example of this ludicrous post-facto wisdom, read this. (notice the word which is part of the URL).

In short, teams lose because they do not perform well (!). That otherwise intelligent people fall for such analyses simply boggles the mind.

2 comments:

S. Hall said...

Interesting to note that you're not repulsed by the crass emotionalism displayed by die-hard sports fans. I've always found their heightened, almost spiritual devotion to sports teams a little ridiculous (much like the article you linked to). That's not to say there aren't enjoyable aspects to be found in sporting events. Perhaps watching them with an objective eye, appreciating the athleticism on display rather than succumbing to the primal impulses inspired by two battling opponents would be ideal.

naivecortex said...

I used to be watching cricket without missing a moment. If my country plays good, I'd enjoy it (but not otherwise!).

I agree with you that it is much better to "appreciate the athleticism on display". In fact, I've known a friend who appreciated the game no matter which country's player played good.

Not perfect, but better than frantic fanboyism.