Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Notes on Meaning (part nine)

"I am angry at the world."

"You are nobody to tell me."

"I don't owe you anything."

"Mind your own business."

"I will not take shit from anybody."

"I don't give a shit about what they think of me."

"I want my "Fuck you money.""

"I am me."

"How do I look? How do I feel? What do I want today?" (Duane Reade)

"Where do you want to go today?" (Microsoft)

"Be Yourself."

"I wear my attitude."

"I am true to myself."

"I am unique."

"I create my own meaning."

"I ... I ... I ... I ... I ..."

"I am lonely."

"I am depressed."

"I am loveless. I can't love."

"I feel nothing."

"I don't know the meaning of life. Why am I living?"

Individuation, Rebellion, Freedom, Anonymity, Autonomy, Atheism, Amorality, Angst.

Q: What will make *me* come alive?
A: Maybe your deadness is due to your self-focus, the disease of modernity.

4 comments:

Susan said...

The thoughts are "MINE"...So it has to be about "ME" :-)
I guess peeling off the initial layers of conditioning leaves one with oneself since morality ceases to hold any meaning (which is more prevalant in modern society). but then continuing with ones pursuit for the truth(or whatever it is) "I" would start loosing its significance. Although I guess it is mostly at an intellectual level since the instincts are still in place.

Anonymous said...

No one has gone beyond thought(s) without some kind of realisation or the other. Who am I?

Without the self-focus, who am I?

Feel that and life becomes alive..

Harmanjit Singh said...

@susan

"I" would start loosing its significance.

You might want to revisit that conclusion.

When I see a man who says he has attained to the "truth", why do I always find that his "I" is even more grandiose than those of normal blokes?

The reason is simple. The "pursuit for the truth (or whatever it is)" is essentially a narcissistic pursuit, so how can it lead to a loss of "I"? It gives you a new, grandiose identity.

To lose/diminish one's ego/individuality, for that is what "I" is (right?), a wider, committed context is required in which "I" am subsumed (say the family, or the workplace).

Hardcore Spirituality/Self-inquiry etc. lead to an ever narrower context in which ultimately nothing external matters.

And then of course "I" (by whatever name) reigns supreme.

Pankaj said...

The pre moderns were whining equally hard.